Monday, March 26, 2012

PRC file extensions in MSSQL Management Studio 2005

Most of our files were scripted out to our VSS as PRC files. In MSSQL
Management Studio 2005 these file extensions are not recognized by the
compiler as SQL text. Now I could go into VSS and change all my
extensions to SQL, but I feel like that would be a very time consuming
task. Is there a way to have MSSQL Management Studio 2005 recognize
this as executable SQL text?
Thanks,
MikeMike,
I think you can change the File Type Association in Windows - sounds
like you have give Windows a gentle nudge in the right direction.
HTH
Barry|||I tried that and it didn't work : - (|||What do you mean by "recognized by the compiler as SQL text"? SQL Server (th
e database engine)
doesn't open any files (containing source code), so it couldn't care less wh
at extensions you have
for the files on the files systems on your machines. So your problem has to
be with the tools you
are using. Perhaps you can elaborate a bit?
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp
http://www.solidqualitylearning.com/
Blog: http://solidqualitylearning.com/blogs/tibor/
"Mike" <mikepmyers@.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1136388956.187342.158280@.g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Most of our files were scripted out to our VSS as PRC files. In MSSQL
> Management Studio 2005 these file extensions are not recognized by the
> compiler as SQL text. Now I could go into VSS and change all my
> extensions to SQL, but I feel like that would be a very time consuming
> task. Is there a way to have MSSQL Management Studio 2005 recognize
> this as executable SQL text?
> Thanks,
> Mike
>|||I found the answer to my own question. In MSSQL Management Studio 2005
you have to associate the extension to the program by:
* Tools - Options - Text Editor - File Extnesion - Extension:
"PRC" - Editor: "SQL Query Editor"
It's a pain that MSSQL Management Studio 2005 doesn't recognize the
"PRC" file extension automatically, but as long as there is a
work-around I guess I'll live.sql

No comments:

Post a Comment