Friday, March 30, 2012

Pre-Execute Phase

What happens during the pre-execute phase?

Is there anything I can do to optimize it's execution?

I have a package that takes data from 2 SQL Server sources, unions them, and writes to a sql table.

The pre-execute takes 20 minutes, and the execution takes 45 seconds.

Thanks

BobP

Are you sure there are no other components in your data flow (Lookups?). Do you have another data flow in the package?

Give us a picture about the used metadata; how many columns? How many rows do get transferred?

Thanks.

|||

This is happening on several packages:

1. The example above takes 2 sql server source, with queries returning ~5,000 rows each, unioning them and writing them to a sql table, with no lookups. The pre-execute takes 20 minutes.

2. Every once in a while, a job that I have that runs every night, will freeze on the pre-execute. No errors, the job appears to be still running, but it is not doing anything, no processor activity, etc.

What I am looking for is a "list" of what the pre-execute phase is doing? I have no way of troubleshooting the #2 issue above.

Does anyone have any ideas, or is anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks!

BobP

|||

This is starting to become a big problem, as this pre-execute task is now locking up at least once a week.

Does anybody have any similar experiences?

Thanks!

BobP

|||

Well, I have found the answer.

The Source Query actually executes during the pre-execute phase.

What was happening was I was getting never ending cxpacket waits.

I adjusted my MAXDOP and this seems to fix it.

No comments:

Post a Comment