Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Prebuild HD configuration question

I'm in the process of building a new SQL box. I have the following
configuration in mind and was wondering the best way to appoint the
hard drives. It's an HP DL585 with 4 processors. I'm going to put 4
72gb 15k drives in the internal slots in a raid 0/1 configuration. I
also will have an external drive enclosure that will house 14 36gb 15k
drives. I'm planning on putting the OS and SQL program files along
with logs on the internal drives. For the external enclosure what will
give me better performance: Raid 5 with 13 drives + 1 spare or Raid
0/1 with the 14 drives? I'm planning on putting the data files on the
external enclosure.A RAID 0+1 or 1+0(recommended over 0+1) will always outperform a comparable
Raid 5 when writes are concerned. What will work best for you depends on how
you will use your db(s). If disk space is not an issue I would recommend
going with a RAID 1+0.
--
Andrew J. Kelly SQL MVP
"BCole8888" <nospambc@.comcast.net> wrote in message
news:1106844697.121710.214580@.c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> I'm in the process of building a new SQL box. I have the following
> configuration in mind and was wondering the best way to appoint the
> hard drives. It's an HP DL585 with 4 processors. I'm going to put 4
> 72gb 15k drives in the internal slots in a raid 0/1 configuration. I
> also will have an external drive enclosure that will house 14 36gb 15k
> drives. I'm planning on putting the OS and SQL program files along
> with logs on the internal drives. For the external enclosure what will
> give me better performance: Raid 5 with 13 drives + 1 spare or Raid
> 0/1 with the 14 drives? I'm planning on putting the data files on the
> external enclosure.
>

No comments:

Post a Comment