Monday, February 20, 2012

Ports

I hope this is okay, but I'm reposting this here as I
didn't get any response in the Security forum:
"I need to find out what tcp ports Sql Server 2000 needs.
1433 is the standard network-accessed port, right? And
isn't it 80 that the web comes through?
The reason I'm asking is because our security group came
by and showed me a list of ports mapped from our web
servers through the firewall to various of my production
sql servers. Furthermore, they know that none of these
ports has had any traffic in the last three months. So of
course they would like to close these access holes up
since they're not being used.
Most of these dead ports are 1433 which is incorrect
right? i.e. the web would not generally directly hit 1433
to access Sql Server? Plus isn't that a security risk?
I also see 1100, 1199, 7050 mapped in? Those aren't
standard ports used for anything Sql Server related,
right?"
replies in-line
"Cal" <anonymous@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:6e9e01c4ccc9$c6d001b0$a601280a@.phx.gbl...
> I hope this is okay, but I'm reposting this here as I
> didn't get any response in the Security forum:
> "I need to find out what tcp ports Sql Server 2000 needs.
> 1433 is the standard network-accessed port, right? And
> isn't it 80 that the web comes through?
Yes to both questions...

> The reason I'm asking is because our security group came
> by and showed me a list of ports mapped from our web
> servers through the firewall to various of my production
> sql servers. Furthermore, they know that none of these
> ports has had any traffic in the last three months. So of
> course they would like to close these access holes up
> since they're not being used.
> Most of these dead ports are 1433 which is incorrect
> right? i.e. the web would not generally directly hit 1433
> to access Sql Server? Plus isn't that a security risk?
The server listens on port 1433 and responds on a random port within a given
range.

> I also see 1100, 1199, 7050 mapped in? Those aren't
> standard ports used for anything Sql Server related,
> right?"
I can't answer what those specific ports are being used for, other utilities
can answer that...
for a better explanation of how SQL Server manages those ports see:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q287932/
Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment