Saturday, February 25, 2012

Possible Corrupt Table

I have 1 table in a 200+ table database
The database is Merge Synchornised and has been working fine for 2
years +
The same database is at several customers and the DB is fully
relational

I have a table which creates client timeout errors whenever an insert
or update is issued

The table has foreign keys and primary key and links parent to
children tables so if I need to recreate the table I will also need
advice on the best way to do this to keep the integrity of the
database

I wasn't sure the table was the problem so I deleted all publications
and disbled the server from being a distributor

I cannot find any error logs with any clues so can only assume the is
the first corruption I have ever seen on SQL 2K (SP3)

I have defragmented the drive, reindexed the tables, shrunk databases
(Plenty of space available)

Please advise any course of action you think may help me.

Regards Paul Goldney[posted and mailed, please reply in news]

paul goldney (paulg@.wizardit.co.uk) writes:
> I have a table which creates client timeout errors whenever an insert
> or update is issued

There is very little information to work from in your post.

If you really suspect corruption, run DBCC CHECKTABLE on the table.

However, I would suggest that there two other possibilities which
are much more likely:

1) There are triggers on the table, and which are poorly implemented
and takes long time to execute.
2) There is a blocking issue. The latter can be investigated by
running sp_who while waiting for the INSERT statement to complete.
If you see a non-zero value in the Blk column that column is blocking
the spid on that row.

--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@.sommarskog.se

Books Online for SQL Server SP3 at
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techin.../2000/books.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment