Monday, February 20, 2012

Possibilities to restore an old database

Can someone put me on the right track?

I have a .bak file from an MSSQL 7.0 database. I want to restore the
database in SQL 2000 or 2005, but the restore fails with the error:
"An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch.
(Microsoft.SqlServer.Express.ConnectionInfo)"
and
"I/O error (bad page ID) detected during read at offset 0x000000001be000 in
file 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data\CLI_JP.mdf'. (.Net
SqlClient Data Provider)"

So it doesn't look good. I don't really know the meaning of the error and
all I have is the .bak file. Is there a way to somehow convert the file, or
read it?

--
AlvinAlvin (info@.alvin.be) writes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by

Can someone put me on the right track?
>
I have a .bak file from an MSSQL 7.0 database. I want to restore the
database in SQL 2000 or 2005, but the restore fails with the error: "An
exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch.
(Microsoft.SqlServer.Express.ConnectionInfo)" and "I/O error (bad page
ID) detected during read at offset 0x000000001be000 in file 'C:\Program
Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data\CLI_JP.mdf'. (.Net SqlClient Data
Provider)"
>
So it doesn't look good. I don't really know the meaning of the error
and all I have is the .bak file. Is there a way to somehow convert the
file, or read it?


Seems like the backup is corrupt, ot it is a backup of a corrupt database.

The last-ditch attempt I could think of is to try to find an SQL 7
instance and restore it there. In difference to SQL 2000 and SQL 2005,
SQL 7 would not try to upgrade the database format, and you may thus
be able to avoid the bad page, and with some luck you may be able
to extract some data from it.

--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@.sommarskog.se
Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pr...oads/books.mspx
Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodin...ions/books.mspx

No comments:

Post a Comment